A Cathartic Moment and a Sneak Peak

Wow this month has not been what I was expecting. I was so looking forward to July, felt like a new year starting. I was excited, new beginnings and Darwin was putting on some great weather, but life said wait on little lady.

OK the sneak peak part are these little recipe books I've created for 'Fragment' Glass Case Exhibition, Urban Cow Gallery, Adelaide. Opens 1st August 2012. Co-conspirator Miss Mary and I are sharing the mini gallery.


Everything seemed to happen at once and within the first couple of weeks.... I moved into the next stage of parenthood. My youngest is nearly 15 and her independence has really kicked in during these school holidays, so my role in her life has changed. Although I went through this with my son a couple of years ago there was still little Miss Willow but now little Miss Willow is as tall as me with some great curves and confidence. I love being a mum and one of the fondest times of my life was when they were young. So I had an amazing sadness for the loss of those times.

'Gem Scones' Recipe Book Series hand made artists' book. Yum I make these all the time.





At the same time I mourned the loss of a friend, the feelings blindsided me a bit, we lived in different states and hadn't seen or talked in ages but I was really sad for the loss of his friendship.

And on top of that a dear friends loss of a very loved feline companion and the illness leading up to it. My own losses came to heart and the feeling of total empathy. I'm such a sook when it comes to the furry, finned or feathered.


'Chocolate Peppermint Creams' Recipe Book Series, handmade artist book

It was just not happy times and I'd joked with some art buddies I need art therapy. I'm working on three group exhibitions for SALA so heaps of work. The weird part is I normally feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew at this time of the year but the studio has been a haven and my work has just poured out. 

'Jam Drops' Recipe Book Series, handmade artist book by Luna Bird

'Fruit Flan' Recipe Book Series





So the art therapy worked and one lunch break I had a cathartic moment and I found this weird peace.  

It's that... "it's not an ending it's a beginning" ...sort of place. I know very cliche. I've also figured out my art practice, basically stop practicing. I spreed myself way too thin, too many methods, too many processes it's time to refine. And now I'm looking forward to my growing independence and new things on my horizon so that excitement I had for July was justified I just needed to ride a few speed bumps. 


'Gem Scones' Recipe Book Series




So the sneak peak has been little books made for exhibition 1 at Urban Cow Studio, Frome Street Adelaide. The lovely Miss Mary and I are sharing one of the glass cases, got to love a party in a small place.
 

Enjoy x Luna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every school should have a giant something

Zines