catch up time

The desk piles up with papers, the cupboards start to over flow and the screen printing bench gets filled up with, well everything. So you sort, fold, file and chuck. I did this back in January, looks great and feels great to work in.

But what about those e-courses that looked so tantalizing, not to mention all the wonderful books full of new techniques. I can't help my overwhelming curiosity and purchase them and the excitement waiting for them to start or arrive in the mail is nearly unbearable.

Finally they arrive, I carefully down load and file them. Print out any work sheets. Have a flick through the books and make grand plans to sit and totally concentrate on the new shinny art thing.

But first, I'll just get my stuff ready for the market, tidy up, make cookies for my....oh I mean the kids afternoon tea, put the washing out in between trying to fit in some exercise.



So this morning I set up the tall table in front of the exercise bike, revved up the laptop and watched a great set of soldering tutorial in 'Make Beautiful Broken China Jewelery Workshop' by Shari Replogle


You can follow Shari on her fun blog http://playswithpaper.blogspot.com.au/  and purchase this course from her etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/primology?ref=seller_info
Shari is lovely and helped me when I stuffed up my log in a couple of months ago when I first purchased the course. The video tutorials show exactly what you need to know and gave me the confidence to go do it for myself. I actually felt like I was in the room with her. Her years of teaching really shine through. I've done soldering in the past, using book instructions, but never felt like I had done a good job. Shari gave some fantastic tips and tricks and I got to say I am very happy with what I made today. 


One of Shari's lovely pieces she makes in the class

So I set up my table outside and got started. Now I still don't have the glass nippers yet, or any broken china so I skipped that part to work on the soldering. I used resin pieces that I've made but just wanted to make them look a bit more special. It was a bit of a gamble, wasn't sure if it would work but gave it a go anyway.



I'm so pleased with the results. Putting the copper foil around curves is tricky and I really need a wider tape. I made the handle from copper wire and played with making the solder beading. This piece will be part of a book for the 8(ate) Artists' Book Exhibition I'm doing with Mary in August. Just need to get some patina to tie in the copper and solder.

I really love how this piece has turned out. I made the resin heart a couple of months ago from a mould I made myself, so completely hand made by me, can't help myself. The beading, also known as pearling was a little tricky but I kept practicing and they started to work nicely. Both sides look great and I can't wait to make a chain and dangles for it.

I also gave a nice edge to a Leafy Sea Dragon. The jump rings were a challenge, but I kept hearing Shari words and persisted and it paid off.

Well it's late (it just turned into the next day here) What a day, I'm on a total high and I still got a load of washing, cookie & dinner making and some tidying done so big thumbs up here.

Enjoy x Luna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every school should have a giant something

Zines